Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New hardware is always a thrill

I admit, I'm a gadget lover. And gadget lovers always get a buzz when something new pops up. This time it was a new mouse. My old one was worn out, it just didn't work properly anymore. So, I got myself a new mouse, a Logitech MX Revolution. It's an expensive one, but luckily we have a motto in our company: our hardware is our tool and we should get the best available.

This thing has one function that I haven't had before. The scroll wheel can have two modes: one light, fluent scroll mode and one 'clicking' scroll mode. By default (as far as I have found out yet) browsing on the internet uses the fluent mode and all other programs use the clicking mode. To me it means that scrolling through my code uses the 'clicking' mode, which is great because it clicks at every scrolled line. The fluent mode gives you a 'soft' feeling when browsing the internet, which somehow eases my mind. I don't feel as rushed as before when reading webpages. Funny how such a thing in hardware feedback can set your mind.

I can recommend adopting our motto: investing in hardware is never bad. It's much better to spend some money on fast, good performing hardware then having a mindset that is uncomfortable. Feeling not well when working can cost you money.

Bye,
Bart

No comments: