Friday, May 09, 2008

Embarcadero: you'd better keep Delphi/Win32!

The storm of postings has died out (a bit), so let's give my two cents worth. First of all: I'm only thinking about Delphi for Win32 here. I'm not particularly interested in the other CodeGear products I'm afraid. So I won't bother you with my comments about those.

All the postings on the aquisition are quite positive about the future of the products, Delphi for Win32 not excluded from that. I'm not so sure though. A take over/merger like this inevitably will lead to a refocus of the future of products and services. Embarcadero will probably take this opportunity to save and extend profitable products and cut those that are not. Now is the time to do so: everybody (employees / customers / partners) will be open for that and will understand such moves. It's common sense, right?

If the above thought is true: what are the chances for Delphi/Win32? Somewhere along the line the following discussion will come up:

(boss/financial manager/commercial manager): Ok, we've cut the number of products. What do we do?
(A): Let's drop Delphi/Win32
(B,C,D..Z): NO! We can't! There are too many developers and products out there.
(A): Well, let them move to Delphi/.NET!
(B,C): That's a thought. Yeah, why not. I never had a problem with that...
(D,E,F..Z): But, that's a completely different way of working for them...
(A,B,C): They probably will have to anyway in the future and most of them won't mind.
(D,E,F,G): That's right, I never had but positive effects since I changed.
(H,I,...Z): But, what about the Tiburon? Didn't we just update the roadmap for that?
(A,B,...Y): If they want Unicode and stuff: let them use .Net. It's the future. And of course, they can always keep using Delphi2007.
(Z): Why doesn't anybody ever listen to me?

I would really hate it if this happens, but - to be open and frank - I could relate to such a thought. Cut the (large) number of products and focus on the ones that have the real future. It would give me an immediate problem (well, not that immediate, there's always Delphi2007, right?) but I would understand it, really.

But, I don't think I would switch to Delphi.Net to be honest. I think C#/.Net would really come into the picture in that case. Give the problems I have to find good Delphi developers (if you know a good Dutch Delphi developer send him/her to me now!) I would really consider leaving Delphi.

Others might go that line too. So, Embarcadero: you'd better keep Delphi/Win32!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I do know some good Dutch Delphi developers (but I assume you want to offer them a job, and they're already settled, sorry ;-))....

Olaf Monien said...

As far as I know Delphi for Win32 is the main cash flow producer of CodeGear (don't know any official numbers though). Thus I don't think it would make sense (economically) to drop it.
Spending $30M and then dropping the product which makes up most this value - that would be at least "weird".

Ossian said...

Yes, it's the other one they could drop - the .Net

Craig said...

Olaf is right. Win32 won't be dropped. Money talks.

Unknown said...

Agreed with Ossian.

Drop .NET
Keep Delphi4VCL
Keep Delphi4PHP

I forsee Delphi4PHP picking up steam.
There is nothing like it (first to market) - and version 2 is stable.

Xepol said...

Even assuming they decided to not persue it, the property is to valuable to just shelve it. Worst case (assuming they were idiots and did kill it, which they are not in both cases), the property would be sold off to reduce the cost of the purchase itself.

Unknown said...

Given the focus of Embarcadero, my worry is that Delphi may end up being a tool exclusively for db development with less effort being put into all the other parts of it. Since just about everything I write doesn't have a DB component this would be a disaster for me.

rjking58 said...

Does anyone know if any of Embarcodero's current products are built with Delphi? If they are then that will be a factor in any decision.

Chava GR said...

Why do embarcadero have to drop anything? :|

I'm doing serious Delphi.Net development, ASP.Net included. And I could fairly say: Embarcadero, you'd better don't give up on Delphi.Net.