Friday, August 29, 2008

To further on all the non(sense) news about Tiburon...

I may be too sceptical, under too much work stress, or maybe I'm catching some flew or the other. But really, is the news about the handling of a password character worth the bits over the internet? (oops, now I've done it myself).

See: http://glooscapsoftware.blogspot.com/2008/08/delphi-2009-passwordchar.html

Come on everybody out there. I love to read about generics and implementation (problems) with the Unicode stuff. I even find the reports about the installation time more worthwhile than this.

It's probably me... Lunch time is over: back to business!

Bye,
Bart

5 comments:

Aleksander Oven said...

Well, I guess it depends on your code base. Even if it's a (really) small detail, I was glad to hear I'll be able to ditch 10 lines of code in one of my projects that I put there in order to handle this manually.

I guess it's one of those code blocks that don't warrant rolling your own component descendat, so you put them directly in the project code, but then feel like you're polluting your project. Especially since you need to hardcode the "Marlett" font name and the "r" character (I think) to get the bullet point. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...so you mean using ALT NUMBERPAD 7 is no longer the prefered method?

Anonymous said...

No, it's really not worth a single line or even to be listed in any feature overview.

When was Windows XP released and how many Delphi versions followed?

I don't know and only now we get those little black discs in a password edit? IMO this 'feature' is not worth mentioning at all, it should have been there since the the first Delphi release after Windows XP started!

Michael

Xepol said...

Might as well enjoy the tobogan ride in to the pits and embrace the insanity.

Sure, its been in there since day 1 but that slight cosmetic issue might actually have stopped someone from getting the app microsoft certified.

Wait, you mean no one in all of recorded history has ever bothered? Never mind, nothing to see here, move along.

Bruce McGee said...

If it's worth peoples time to ask "why are you showing off PasswordChar", then I guess it's worth the time it takes to answer.

But mostly, it's an example of CodeGear devoting some attention to detail.