Sunday, April 20, 2008

Opera Mobile Mini browser

My last review of Makayama's webbrowser made me realize I was ready for a new browser. WM6.1 is coming with a tweaked IE Pocket and WM7 promises to be great, but I won't wait any longer. I installed Opera Mobile Mini and gave it a shot. I know it has been around for a while already, but I only looked at it recently.

Now, there's something between Java and me. I always have an eerie feeling when I know I have to start Java and from there I start something else. I know it's me: I'm from the Basic interpreters age. It feels (in my mind that is) clunky and slow and not optimized. I know I'm wrong, but I can't get over it.

But, if there ever was an application that will make me change my mind and (more important) take away that feeling when reading the word 'Java', it will be Opera Mobile Mini. It's extremely fast, renders pages very quickly and will do so (almost) the same as a desktop browser will.

But, what I like most is something I missed most in the Makayama browser: the zoom function. It makes the difference between a good browser and an excellent browser. I can't imagine I will use another browser again (until something new comes along of course :-)).

There's a couple of things I need to find out. I already read how to create a direct startup link to the Opera midlet, but I would like to have it registered as my default browser, so it will launch when clicking on an url in a newsfeed or e-mail message. I'm sure that information is out there, but if you know, please share it with me.

Bye,

Bart

No comments: