Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MS Surface – Dead Easy

As mentioned, yesterday our surface unit arrived. It was my day off, so it was not until today that I could get my hands on it. Now, fact is that I am swamped in regular work, so I have to work late to get some extra stuff done. And, of course the family suffers, because I won’t be at home at night.

So, the family has to come to me, which has the added benefit of having a representative test user group around me:

The guy is four years old, doesn’t own a Wii, Playstation or Xbox (or any other electronic equipment). He can however handle the remote DVD control. The images show him only a mere minute after first laying his eyes and hands on the Surface unit.

I think it’s quite amazing and a good advertisement for the technology that a kid this young can start working with it immediately without any help. It won’t be too difficult to convince our clients that usability is not an issue.

Bye,

Bart

3 comments:

Geert Wissink said...

Wow, this is amazing! My son is now one year old, my iPhone is forbidden territory because he sticks it in his mouth but he got the hang of moving pictures in a couple of seconds. Can't wait till he grows up and shows me how things work in the future :-)

Bart Roozendaal said...

@geertwissink: if you're in the neighbourhood don't hesitate to bring you son and see what he makes of the surface nit. No chance of him sticking that in his mouth :-)

Eric said...

My kids are four and six, and they love using Microsoft Surface. I've seen younger kids use it just fine. It might be a little harder for the one year old, because their fingers are so small and their reach rather limited. But the acrylic is probably safe for teething.